Focus on Teaching and Learning Workshops at Syracuse University
All assessment workshop presentations with supporting materials can be found here.
2017-2018 workshops — REGISTER HERE
- August 21, 2017: The Art of Assessment in Creative Disciplines by Jill F. Ferguson (Higher education consultant, author, artist)
Hillyer Room 606, Bird Library, 1:30PM – 4:30PM
Have you ever considered where the curriculum, assessment activities, and students’ future professional lives intersect? Those of us in creative disciplines have generated assessment data since the first apprentice paired with the first master; yet, we haven’t always been successful explaining ratings, rankings, and data to outsiders. Participants will embark on an interactive afternoon journey as we explore, when necessary, how to quantify and qualify the aesthetic.
Jill L. Ferguson is an artist, editor-in-chief of Welum Magazine and book publishing, author of seven books and thousands of articles. She is a higher education consultant specializing in arts assessment, accreditation, and general education.
- September 11, 2017: Real-Time Student Assessment: A Shared Commitment to Improve Currently Enrolled Students’ Equitable Progress Toward Achieving High-Quality Outcomes by Peggy L. Maki (Consultant)
Sheraton Conference Center, 9:00AM – 12:00PM
This workshop will begin by making the case for why a shared commitment to students’ equitable progress toward achieving high quality exit-level program- and institution-level outcomes matters in the 21st century. Participants will engage in small and large group discussion to explore how they might refine or build on current program and institution-level assessment efforts to develop nimble and on-time use of course, module, and educational experience assessment results.
Peggy L. Maki is a higher education consultant, specializing in assisting undergraduate and graduate colleges and universities, higher education boards, higher education organizations, and disciplinary organizations integrate assessment of student learning into educational practices, processes, and structures.
- February 14, 2017: Outcomes-Based Assessment to Support Student Learning and Development by Marilee J. Bresciani Ludvik (San Diego State University)
- November 18, 2016: Understanding and Using Assessment Results by Linda Suskie (consultant)
- October 14, 2016: Classroom Assessment Techniques by Thomas A. Angelo (The UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy)
- September 23, 2016: Introduction to Rubrics by Dannelle D. Stevens (Portland State University)
- April 02, 2015: Assessment in Academic Programs by Barbara E. Walvoord (Pr. Emerita from the University of Notre Dame)
Open consultation drop-in hours:
- 10:00 am–2:00 pm
- 304 Steele Hall
Timeline of Assessment
The following timelines provide details regarding the schedule of assessment and accreditation.