2018 Focus on Teaching and Learning Workshops
May 22, 2018: Moving Beyond Phase 1: A series of workshops to support co-curricular and functional areas in enhancing assessment efforts. Presenter, Gavin Henning Sign Up Here
- Creating and Sustaining a Culture of Assessment (10:30-11:45 a.m.) For assessment to be effective, it should be part of a culture of shared values, beliefs, and practices. This interactive session focuses on the characteristics of a culture of assessment as well as how to build one, sustain one, and assess one. Participants will assess their own department and strategize how to improve the culture.
- Maximizing the Assessment Toolkit (1-2 p.m.) Data collection for assessment is more than surveys, interviews, and focus groups. This working session provides an overview of more than 20 assessment methods. Participants apply the methods to various scenarios and case studies.
- Using the CAS Standards for Program Assessment (2:15-3:15) The CAS Standards are “field approved” standards of practice for 45 student support functional areas. While many professionals are aware of the standards, many do not know how to use the standards for program assessment. This interactive session provides an overview of the standards and the self-study process.
- Putting Assessment into Action (3:30-4:30 p.m.) Assessment isn’t assessment if data is not used for improvement. This working session provides tips for putting assessment into action and participants will develop a plan for doing this in their own unit.
- September 27, 2017: Aligning Student and Faculty Perceptions of Rigor. Presenter, Lolita Paff, PhD (via live webinar).
- September 11, 2017: Real-Time Student Assessment: A Shared Commitment to Improve Currently Enrolled Students’ Equitable Progress Toward Achieving High-Quality Outcomes by Peggy L. Maki (Consultant)
- August 21, 2017: The Art of Assessment in Creative Disciplines by Jill F. Ferguson (Higher education consultant, author, artist)
- February 14, 2017: Outcomes-Based Assessment to Support Student Learning and Development by Marilee J. Bresciani Ludvik (San Diego State University)
- November 18, 2016: Understanding and Using Assessment Results by Linda Suskie (consultant)
- October 14, 2016: Classroom Assessment Techniques by Thomas A. Angelo (The UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy)
- September 23, 2016: Introduction to Rubrics by Dannelle D. Stevens (Portland State University)
- April 02, 2015: Assessment in Academic Programs by Barbara E. Walvoord (Pr. Emerita from the University of Notre Dame)
All assessment workshop presentations with supporting materials can be found here.